Montreat Minute 10/07/22
Special Town Forum on Monday, October 17
The Montreat Board of Commissioners will host a Town Forum on Monday, October 17, 2022, at 6:30 p.m. in the Town Hall. The purpose of the forum is to provide Montreaters with information about provisions that Commissioners and staff have made to better control activity related to bear hunting. New ordinances controlling hunters and dogs and protecting Montreaters are being acted on by the Town Council. Additionally, other actions have been taken by the Town to help make Montreat a safer place to live, work and visit during bear hunting season. Bear hunting season is October 17- November 19 and December 12- January 2, 2023.
The meeting will be live streamed, but stop by the Town Hall to pick up the handouts afterward. CLICK HERE to stream the meeting.
Be Firewise: Clean up Fall Leaf Litter
Leaves are falling, which makes work for everyone. It is important work due to the risk of fires in our cove. Please follow the Firewise recommendations for fall yard clearing:
- Rooftops & Gutters—Clean all leaves, needles, and debris from your roof and rain gutters
- Beneath Decks & Porches—Keep these areas free of flammable material. Consider enclosing with metal screens or non-combustible skirting.
- At least 5-30 feet from your house—Keep the area around your house raked free of fallen leaves and needles, creating a buffer zone between your house and potential flammables.
Don’t forget to report your hours to Nancy Midgette at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Town Council Meeting October 13, at 7:00pm
The Montreat Town Council will meet for its monthly meeting next Thursday, October 13th at 7:00pm in the Town Hall. For a copy of the agenda, CLICK HERE. The meeting will be live streamed and recorded. For information about streaming the meeting, CLICK HERE. The Public Forum will begin at 6:30pm. Everyone is invited.
Special Note Regarding Town Hall Staffing Next Week
Please note that due to staff vacations, Town Hall hours next week will be shortened.
- On Monday, October 10th, the Town Hall will close at 2:00pm
- On Tuesday, October 11th, the Town Hall will close at 2:00pm
- On Wednesday, October 12th, the Town Hall will open at 9:00am
- On Friday, October 14th, the Town Hall will close at noon
Please arrange your Town business accordingly.
Additionally, next week’s Friday Montreat Minute will be delayed until Monday morning, October 17th. We thank you for your flexibility.
You Are Invited
The Presbyterian Heritage Center cordially invites you to its second annual Distinguished Lecture on the Reformation, which will be held at 7:30pm on Saturday, October 15, 2022, in Anderson Auditorium. The 2022 Distinguished Lecture will be presented by Dr. Martin Dotterweich, chair of the Department of History and Political Science at King University, where he also serves as a Professor of History and Director of the King Institute for Faith and Culture. The title for Dr. Dotterweich’s lecture is Reformation in Scotland and Presbyterian Reformers in the American Colonies.
The Distinguished Lecture on the Reformation was created to further the study and discussion of important topics concerning the Reformation. Please make plans to attend. Admission is free. For further information, contact the Presbyterian Heritage Center at 828-669-6556.
Don’t Miss Made in Montreat, Saturday, October 15
Please mark your calendar and come to the Made in Montreat Craft Show and Sale on Saturday, October 15th, from 9am-2pm in the lower level of Moore Center. This is always a fun community event and a great time to shop for Christmas. Please Note: Cash or check only.
Updates and Reminders
- The Montreat Planning and Zoning Committee will meet on Thursday, October 13th, at 10:30am in the Town Hall Community Room. The meeting will include an update from Montreat College on their Master Plan. All are invited to attend. CLICK HERE for streaming instructions. And CLICK HERE for the agenda packet.
- The Texas Road Bridge Aesthetics Committee will meet on Tuesday, October 18th, at 2:00pm in the Town Hall Community Room. All are invited to attend. CLICK HERE for streaming instructions.
- Start planning for the fall Bulk Pick Up on Tuesday, October 25th. This is a valuable, free service provided by the town. Check your Sanitation Calendar for details.
- Don’t forget: if you have too much trash for your bear proof trash cans or you’re leaving town before normal trash pick up, the Town’s trash and recycle dumpsters are available 24/7. They are located behind the Town Hall, across the Flat Creek bridge. Security is insured, as there are surveillance cameras in place.
- Know someone who doesn’t receive the Montreat Minute? Tell them to email email@example.com and ask to be put on the Sunshine/Montreat Minute list.
Do you have Town-related questions you would like answered? If so, please send them to Angela Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Have a good weekend and stay dry!