Montreat Minute for October 1, 2021
Last Day to Submit Volunteer Applications
Today, October 1, is the deadline for submitting applications to serve on the Town of Montreat Comprehensive Plan Update Steering Committee. The nine-member committee will be made up of representatives from the various Town entities and community members at-large. The Committee’s work will begin in January 2022 and conclude with the completed report in June 2022.
If you are interested in volunteering for the Committee, please complete an application form by CLICKING HERE or stop by the Town Hall to pick up a paper copy.
Need a Cup of “Joe”? Note Updated Hours
After the Huckleberry closed, it has not been possible to buy a cup of coffee in Montreat. Until now! Montreat College recently completed a $2 million+ upgrade of the Howerton Hall dining facility, including outdoor “bistro” type seating and a completely renovated dining room and kitchen.
As part of the project, the College added a coffee bar in one corner of the dining room. They are graciously offering availability to Montreaters and other guests. Drink offerings include coffee, espresso, tea, smoothies, “Javalanches”, and more. Muffins and other snacks are also available. Hours are 7:30am to 10:00pm Monday through Friday. Reduced hours are available on weekends. Cash and credit cards are accepted. Please wear a mask.
And for those with a night appetite, “Howerton After Hours” is available to purchase a cheeseburger, chicken sandwich and other delectable treats. Hours for the night snacks are 7:00 to 10:00pm Monday through Friday. We’re grateful to the College for making this special service available to others besides students.
Upcoming Town Meetings
- The Rules and Procedures sub-committee of the Planning & Zoning Commission will be meeting next Friday, October 8, at 2:00pm at the Town Hall. The Planning and Zoning Commission’s rules of procedure are dated, with many of the statutory references not applying any longer. The Commission appointed a sub-committee to “clean up” the rules of procedure. The meeting will not be live streamed. The public is invited to attend.
- The Planning & Zoning Commission will meet on Thursday, October 14, at 10:30am at the Town Hall. Streaming instructions and other information will follow.
- The Montreat Town Council will have its monthly meeting on October 14, at 7:00pm at the Town Hall. The Public Forum will precede the Council Meeting at 6:30pm. Streaming instructions may be obtained by CLICKING HERE. The agenda will be available next Thursday.
- The Board of Adjustment will meet to hear a Special Use Permit (SUP) request for 309 Collegiate Circle for a 40-room hotel and site improvements for Thursday, October 21 at 4:00pm in Graham Chapel in Gaither Hall. Should the hearing not be completed on the 21st, it will be continued to the Board’s regular meeting on October 28, also to be held in Graham Chapel at 4:00pm. Further information will follow.
Updates and Reminders
- The Montreat Landcare Committee will meet on Wednesday, October 6th, at 9:00am in the Allen Building. Check the Landcare website for further information.
- Just a reminder that the Town’s fall Bulk/White Goods Pick Up will be Tuesday, October 26th. More information to follow or check the town website by CLICKING HERE.
- FEMA recently released updated information for anyone who had damage from Tropical Storm Fred last month that was not covered by insurance. You may be eligible for Federal disaster assistance from FEMA. For details on eligibility and how to file, CLICK HERE.
Do you have Town-related questions you would like answered? If so, please send them to Angela Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Have a great weekend!