Mayor’s Meeting Summary of Last Night’s Town Council Meeting
We were thankful for the 18 people who attended the meeting. Here’s a summary of the discussions. As you know, a full overview will be in the official meeting minutes in April’s agenda packet.
Public Forum questions/comments included:
- Sally Stansil expressed her continued concerns about high noise levels from traffic near the entrance. She summarized her previous comments to the Council and explained her personal monitoring of the noise levels. She requested that the Council and Town staff do their own measurement, compile the data, and determine if Town Ordinances are being violated.
- Elizabeth Bryan and her spouse, Spence Foscue, emphasized the noise problem, with Spence adding that there is an odor problem related to trucks idling in the gate parking area for more than 30 minutes at a time. He asked for a limit on parked vehicle idling.
CLICK HERE to read more of the meeting summary…
As you may have read in the Mayor’s meeting summary, the Town Council adopted a resolution last night endorsing Buncombe County’s declaration of a local state of emergency due to the coronavirus and consent to its application in Montreat. What this means is that the County will be taking the lead in recommending action for municipalities to control coronavirus within their communities. We will continue to keep you informed about information and actions pertinent to our Montreat community. If in the meantime you have any questions, please contact the Town staff at 828-669-8002.
Greybeard Trail Construction Update
As mentioned last week, the Greybeard Trail construction project is beginning to wrap up. The wall has been built, boulders will be reset, the diversion barriers will be removed shortly and the best news: we expect the road to be reopened a week from today, March 20. It is likely that the road will not be paved by next Friday, but will be done later in the spring. Thus, the dreaded detour will be a past memory. And again, we thank everyone for their patience and cooperation during this difficult period.
- Planning and Zoning Commission: Thursday, March 19, at 10:30am in the Walkup Building. The Commission will be focusing on parking ordinances.
- Town Commission Annual Board Retreat: Friday, March 20, from 1:00 to 5:00pm at the Cragmont Assembly, 1233 North Fork Road, Black Mountain. The public is invited.
- Montreat Tree Board: Tuesday, March 24, at 9:30am in the Town Services offices.
Do you have Town-related questions you would like answered? If so, please send them to Angela Murphy at email@example.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Have a great weekend