Opportunities for High School and College Students
The Land of Sky Regional Council (LOS) is offering unique learning opportunities for 11th and 12th graders as well as students of local colleges. The Council is a multi-county, local government, planning and development organization providing technical assistance to local governments and administering projects and programs which benefit the region’s citizens. The Town of Montreat is an active member of the LOS in various ways.
The LOS describes this special opportunity by saying:
As we endeavor to improve educational and workforce attainment outcomes in our four-county region, we recognize the importance of including students in the conversation. We are excited to begin recruiting our second cohort of Student Ambassadors to be part of the Land of Sky P20 Council!
Fifteen to twenty-five of these leadership positions will be available for the spring semester, from each of the following sectors: high school (11th and 12th graders), community college, and university. These opportunities will be ideal for students interested in fields of study including but not limited to government, public service, education, business, psychology, and child development.
Student Ambassador Responsibilities:
- Commit to this opportunity from March through May, 2024
- Attend and participate in P20 meetings and events
- Participate in digital marketing discussing their academic/career journey and experiences in Western NC
- Estimated time commitment: 15-20 (total) hours over the course of the semester
P20 will provide:
- Mentorship and leadership development through public speaking and meeting preparation
- A certificate of completion/participation at the end of the program
- $500 to each Student Ambassador for successful completion of the semester-long program
For more information on this very interesting, educational program and to complete an application, CLICK HERE.
Town Council Meeting February 8, at 7:00pm
The Montreat Town Council will meet for its monthly meeting next Thursday, February 8th, at 7:00pm in the Town Hall. For a copy of the agenda, CLICK HERE. The meeting will be live streamed and recorded. For information about streaming the meeting, CLICK HERE. The Public Forum will begin at 6:30pm. Everyone is invited.
Do You Know the Location of This Photo?
Long time resident Robert Jones took this photo of a HUGE fallen tree a number of years ago. Can you figure out the location? Hint: The tree and stump are no longer there, but something else is! The answer is upside down at the end of the Montreat Minute.
Updates and Reminders
- Ready for an early Spring? Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow this morning, meaning we are in for an early spring. But take heed, newscasters say Phil is accurate only 39% of the time, so don’t put your winter coat away yet!
- The Montreat Landcare Committee will meet on Wednesday, February 7th, at 9:00am in the Town Hall Community Room. It will also be live streamed. For the agenda and streaming instructions, CLICK HERE. The public is invited.
- The Planning and Zoning Hillside Development Sub- Committee will also meet on Wednesday, February 7th at 10:30am in the Town Hall Conference Room. It will not be live streamed. The Public is invited.
- The Planning and Zoning Sign Ordinance Sub- Committee will meet on Thursday, February 8th at 10:30am in the Town Hall Community Room. It will not be live streamed. The Public is invited.
Questions or Comments?
Do you have Town-related questions or comments to offer? If so, please send them to Angela Murphy at [email protected] and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Have a great weekend!