Montreat Minute 08/13/2021
Mayor’s Summary of the August 12, 2021 Town Council Meeting
It’s a little quieter here with the conference and Clubs seasons complete and vacationers having returned home. But on the other hand we’re beginning to see Montreat College students arriving on campus. So, the Montreat cycle continues!
The Council meeting brought approximately seven people for the Forum and 13 for the Council meeting. We live streamed and recorded it. To view the recording, CLICK HERE. As you know, the official overview is the meeting minutes in September’s agenda packet.
Here’s a summary of the meeting:
- Public Forum questions/comments included:
- Martha Campbell thanked the Council and staff for making the decision to require masks for staff and visitors in the Town Hall. She recommended that the Council require that staff be vaccinated or tested weekly. I commented that, as in the past, we will follow Buncombe County’s COVID guidelines, which they will release soon.
CLICK HERE to read more of the summary
Masks at the Town Hall
The Town is again requiring masks in all public buildings operated by the Town. This requirement holds true for visitors entering the Town Hall and the Public Works building. Masks are available at the Town Hall. Thank you for following the new regulations.
Town Finishes Fiscal Year Strongly
Despite the extreme negative effects upon business due to COVID, the Town completed its fiscal year (July to June) with surprising strength. We had projected a significant decline in revenues due to COVID and budgeted accordingly for revenues and expenses.
At year end, combined revenues were actually 1% over budget at $2,269,602. This does not include the ARP funds we recently received (see Mayor’s meeting summary for details). Combined expenses were 10% under budget at $2,005,315. The end result is a positive net income for the Town of $264,287. The Council expressed their appreciation to staff at last night’s Council meeting for their expense management and underspending in an unsure environment. We start the 2021-2022 Fiscal Year in a very strong position.
Arbor Day: Save the Date
The Tree Board reminds everyone to save the date for a special celebration:
Town of Montreat Arbor Day Celebration
Saturday, September 4, 2021
10:00 am – 2:00 pm at the Town Hall
We will be celebrating the American chestnut in conjunction with the American Chestnut Foundation. Don’t miss this special event.
Welcome (back) Montreat College Students
Our little cove is becoming more lively! Montreat College students have begun arriving this week and all undergraduate students will be on campus by tomorrow, Saturday. And, it is quite a group, says Sara Baughman, VP of Marketing and Communications at the College. It is the largest enrollment ever with nearly 700 undergraduate students. This includes 200 new students and is the seventh year in a row of record enrollment. “And, it is one of the strongest classes academically that we’ve ever had,” Sarah added. Classes begin on August 17.
As you go about Town in the coming days, give the students a warm Montreat welcome.
Updates and Reminders
- If you aren’t already, be aware that yellowjackets are very active right now. Their nests can be in the ground, in trees and eaves of houses, even in open spaces in the exterior of your house. Identify their nests in the day and spray them with Wasp/Hornet Killer in the evening when they are in their nests. Will Blozen with Appalachian Arborists says that If you encounter a nest, don’t run, as they will chase you. Freeze, then move slowly away- but definitely fight your instinct to run.
- The Montreat Tree Board will meet on August 24 at 9:30am at the Town Hall. The meeting will be live streamed. Details to come.
- The Montreat Board of Adjustment will have a special training meeting on August 24 at 7:00pm at the Town Hall. The meeting will be live streamed. Details to come.
- The Montreat Landcare Committee will meet September 1 at 9:30am at the Allen Building.
- The Planning & Zoning Commission will meet on September 1 at 10:30am at the Town Hall. The meeting will be live streamed. Details to come.
Do you have Town-related questions you would like answered? If so, please send them to Angela Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Have a great weekend!