New COVID-19 Restrictions in North Carolina
NC Governor Roy Cooper announced new coronavirus restrictions last week. Originally June 26 was scheduled to be the day to begin Phase 3 of reduced restrictions. But due to a significant spike in COVID-19 related infections in the state, the Governor has delayed Phase 3 until at least July 17. Additionally, everyone is required to wear face masks when out in public where social distancing is not possible.
The mask mandate applies to people who are within 6 feet of non-family members and applies indoors and outdoors to everyone 12 and over. Exemptions include those with health issues that a mask could affect. Previously, masks were recommended but not mandated. Group gatherings are still limited to 10 indoors and 25 outdoors.
Cottager Directories Available at Post Office
Cottager directories will be offered at the Montreat Post Office from 9:30 – noon on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays July 15-17, July 22-24 and July 29-31. Directories are $25.00 a copy. A check, made payable to Montreat Cottagers’ Inc, or exact change will be appreciated. Sorry, no credit cards. Social distancing, wearing masks, using hand sanitizer and other precautions will be employed as prescribed by the governor. Follow the signs.
If you are unable to order in person, send an order to:
Montreat Cottagers’, Inc
PO Box 111
Montreat, NC 28757
ATTN: Directory Committee
Include the number of copies you would like; whether or not you will be able to pick-up your order in person or need to have it shipped; and a check in the exact amount. If your order is to be shipped, please include your address and phone number.
And as a special addition, watch for sales of aprons and tee-shirts. By popular demand, the directory’s cover image is being reproduced on tee-shirts, sweatshirts and aprons! Stop by the PO to take a look at samples and place your order!
Many thanks to the Directory team for their hard work. The team includes Beth Barker, Meredith Greene, Laurie Morgan, Grace Nichols and Ann Vinson. Well done!
Town Hall/Staff Working Arrangements
The staff are now ensconced in the new Town Hall. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 precautions, the Town Hall is closed to the public. Here are several ways to tend to your Town needs:
- For all business matters, including construction questions, building permits and other information, call the Town Hall at 828/669-8002, ext. 1. Town Administrator Alex Carmichael is available at ext. 5.
- For the purchase of Town trash bags (green) and recycle bags (blue), please call 828/669-8002, ext. 1. Tell Angie when you will be by to pick them up. A roll of five bags is $5.00, cash or check.
- Trash that is in Town trash bags may be dropped in the bear proof containers outside the old town Services Offices. Please don’t leave bags outside the containers, as the bears are active!
- Water bills may be paid by dropping payment in the drive by payment box adjacent to the new Town Hall driveway by the pocket park.
Adult Summer Club Happenings
As you may know, there will not be any live Montreat Adult Summer Club programs, picnic, or auction this summer with the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the Summer Club has established a website offering entertaining posts. Check the website for additional postings throughout the summer. Thanks to the Presbyterian Heritage Center for assistance in handling the program and musical for this initial posting and for future programs. CLICK HERE to go to the website.
Support our Montreat Post Office
Support our Montreat Post Office by buying stamps. Our Post Office is very dependent upon income from stamps and package postage. So, please buy your stamps, even if you are not a full time resident, from the Montreat Post Office. We don’t want our Post Office to go away due to lack of business.
Other Important Information
- The Planning & Zoning Commission will meet July 14 via Zoom. They will be reviewing the overall ordinances and specifically discussing fences and landscaping ordinances. CLICK HERE for Instructions to join the meeting and for the agenda.
- A reminder that Friday sanitation pickups have been suspended for the summer. Green and blue Town trash bags are still available for purchase (5 for $5) at the new Town Hall.
- Another reminder: remember that the annual Town calendar will not be coming out in July since we switched to a January to December calendar last year. The current calendar shows 18 months and continues through December. Copies are available at the Town Hall.
Do you have Town-related questions you would like answered? If so, please send them to Angela Murphy at email@example.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Have a great Montreat weekend!