We Still Need Your Opinion
Last week we announced the availability of a survey seeking your opinion regarding key issues for future planning. Many thanks to the more than 100 people who have completed the survey. If you have not completed it, we need your opinion.
As mentioned previously, the Town engaged in a planning process in 2008. The result was the Town of Montreat Comprehensive Plan. It has been the primary planning directive for 12 years. The Town Council set a goal for the 2019-2020 fiscal year to review and update the 2008 Plan. As the Council begins the process, we need your thoughts on key issues within the 2008 plan as well as other issues.
Whether you’re a full time resident, part time resident, renter, college student, employee, or a visitor to Montreat enjoying what it offers, please complete a short survey. It takes nine minutes to complete. CLICK HERE to complete the survey. We really need your thoughts on Montreat Today and Montreat Tomorrow. Results will be shared later in the spring.
Greybeard Trail Update
With this week of rain where we received more than 3.8”, progress did continue with the work on Greybeard Trail. Specifics include:
- AT&T finally came out to remove their utility pole, which had been holding up work on that portion of the road
- The downstream end of the wall has been completed and stream diversion barriers are being removed
- Work will begin on the upper half of the stream now that the utility pole has been removed. The contractor reports that wall progress is about 50% complete.
- The best news is that even with our nearly 4” of rain this week, the completed wall held strong
Mark Your Calendar: Tree Board Meeting with Duke Power
Last summer, there was discussion about the way Duke Power clears ground in its right of ways underneath power lines. The Tree Board appointed Public Works employee, Daniel Wiggs, to be the liaison with Duke Power. Daniel set up this meeting between the power company and the Tree Board to discuss alternatives to the widescale clearing in the right of ways. The meeting will be Tuesday, February 25 at 9:30am. The location will be announced later.
News from the Landcare Committee
A number of Montreat citizens have indicated an interest in information about volunteering as a Creek Citizen Scientist, contributing to our understanding of what makes Flat Creek healthy for people and wildlife alike. There will be a meeting next Thursday, February 13 to share about volunteer options for spring and summer 2020. The meeting will be held in the Moore Center ground floor meeting room from 3:30 to 5:00pm. Everyone is invited to come and learn more about this special opportunity.
Town Council Meeting Next Week
The February Montreat Town Council meeting will be held, Thursday, February 13, at 7:00pm in the Walkup Building. The Public Forum precedes the Council meeting at 6:30. Everyone is welcome. For a copy of the agenda, CLICK HERE. If you can’t make the meeting, live stream it by going to the Town Facebook page: www.facebook/TownofMontreat
Other Upcoming Meetings
- Special Landcare Committee re. Flat Creek Volunteer Opportunities: Thursday, February 13, at 3:30pm in the Moore Center conference room, ground floor
- Planning and Zoning Committee: Thursday, February 20, at 10:30am in the Walkup Building
Do you have Town-related questions you would like answered? If so, please send them to Angela Murphy at email@example.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Have a great weekend.