Montreat Minute for December 27, 2019
New Year’s Eve Watch Night Service
Will you be in town on New Year’s Eve? If so, plan on attending the annual Watch Night Service sponsored by the Montreat Cottagers Association. This year, Rev. George Logan, pastor of the New Day Christian Church in Morganton, will be officiating. The service will be held in Gaither Hall’s Graham Chapel on Tuesday, December 31st at 5:30pm.
Greybeard Trail Detour Reminder
Just a reminder that due to the reconstruction of Greybeard Trail, the detour reroutes traffic via Louisiana Rd-Virginia Rd-West Virginia Terrace. Because West Virginia Terrace is narrow and generally accommodates only one-way traffic, it is extremely important that everyone abide by the stop and go lights to prevent accidents. The lights remain red for approximately four to five minutes, then turn green long enough to allow traffic to pass. Please help us keep this detour a safe route.
Did You Know?
Here’s more Montreat Town information dug from the archives. After the Town was incorporated in 1967:
- The Planning Commission and the Board of Adjustment were both formed in 1969
- In 1970, Mayor Andy Andrews was instructed to order the first Town stationery and Police Chief Post received the first Montreat Police Department uniform
- The Term of Commissioners and Mayor were halved from four to two years in 1975
- The road we know now as Community Center Circle was changed in 1981 from Commercial Center Circle
- The Town leased its current offices from MRA in 1981 in a 99 year lease for one dollar. That’s a penny a year! Thank you, MRA, for your generosity.
Town Offices Closed Next Wednesday
The Town offices will be closed next Wednesday, January 1, in celebration of New Year’s Day. Sanitation service pickup is unaffected but brush pick up is rescheduled for Thursday.
- Planning and Zoning Commission, Thursday, January 2, at 10:30am in the Walkup Building
The Town Council and Staff wish you a Happy New Year!