Montreat Minute for December 6, 2019
Good News About Flat Creek
The Montreat Landcare Committee held its monthly meeting earlier this week and received a series of reports on research done regarding Flat Creek and the Flat Creek watershed. And the good news is our precious Flat Creek is still considered “pristine” relative to regional comparisons. A study was conducted looking at a number of important factors that, together, help define stream health. Some of those factors include turbidity (cloudiness/haziness of the water), suspended solids, fecal coliform, pH, alkalinity and nutrients in the water. All were found to be below acceptable levels, which is an excellent indication of a healthy stream. That’s not to say we don’t have issues to deal with. We still need to be concerned about stormwater runoff, erosion, chemical infiltration and other issues. The Landcare Committee is partnering with a number of other organizations for continued monitoring and evaluation of the creek and everything in it. Partnerships include Montreat College, the Town, NC Wildlife Resources
Commission, the Environmental Quality Institute, Land of Sky Regional Council and others. The full report will be posted to the Landcare website in the future. If you’d like to be a “citizen volunteer” helping in the monitoring effort, email Martha Campbell at email@example.com.
Project Updates It has been several weeks since we have given you project updates, so here goes:
• Town Hall—We’re still progressing ahead of schedule on the new Town Hall. Much of the building exterior is complete. Painting will proceed if we have warmer, dryer weather in the next couple weeks. Plans are to pave the road into the Town Hall over the next several weeks while other grading activity occurs. Inside, crews are working hard installing insulation and finishing up framing work in preparation for hanging drywall late next week or early the following week.
• Public Works Building—Site and drainage preparation work for pouring concrete was completed this week, with the hopes of permitting being completed next week. Then the next step is pouring the slab. Of course, everything is contingent upon the weather cooperating!
• Assembly Drive Three Way Stop—We want to thank the 109 people who completed the recent opinion survey about whether a three-way stop should be installed at Assembly Drive and Georgia Terrace by the Post Office. The results have been tallied and provided to the Montreat Town Council, who will vote on the issue at next Thursday’s Town Council meeting. The full report is included in the agenda packet (CLICK HERE) starting on page 21.
• Striping of Montreat Road—Even though it is not a Montreat Town project, we thought you’d be interested in an update on the striping of Montreat Road. After paving was completed several weeks ago, temporary striping was done. Permanent striping that can be easily seen at night will be completed when weather permits.
Questions from Residents
We have received several questions from residents that we thought you would be interested in:
Q: Does Montreat have a policy for historic preservation of its buildings and its unique character?
A: No, unlike many other communities, Montreat does not have a policy for historic preservation of its buildings and its unique character. In fact, that is what gives Montreat some of its “unique character”- the diversity in style. No two houses or buildings are alike!
Q: Interesting things are always happening in Montreat! Someone mentioned a Christmas or holiday party in December. Is that a Montreat or a Conference Center event?
A: Yes, there are always interesting things happening in Montreat, including the Christmas season. Here are some of the upcoming events here in Montreat:
• Saturday, December 7– Montreat College Annual Christmas concert at 7:00pm in Anderson Auditorium. This year’s theme is “A Christmas Tapestry”.
• Friday, December 13—Montreat Conference Center “Candlelight Dinner” at the Assembly Inn. Reception begins at 5:30pm with seated buffet dinner at 6:00pm. Ticket purchases close today. CLICK HERE for more information and to purchase online tickets.
• Tuesday, December 17—Montreat Post Office annual Christmas reception from 9:00am until 2:00pm at the Post Office. Drop off those Christmas cards and last minute packages and have some delightful snacks and conversation.
If you have questions about the Town, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Montreat Minute Question”
Town Council Meeting Next Week
The monthly Montreat Town Council meeting will be held, Thursday, December 12, at 7:00pm in the Walkup Building. The Public Forum precedes the Council meeting at 6:30. Everyone is welcome. For a copy of the agenda, CLICK HERE. If you can’t make it, stream the meeting live by going to the Town Facebook page: www.facebook/TownofMontreat starting at 6:30pm.
Other Upcoming Meetings
• Montreat Planning and Zoning Committee, Thursday, December 19, at 10:30am in the Walkup Building Have a great weekend!