Be Prepared for the Cold!
The Montreat area is expected to experience an arctic blast this weekend. Extreme cold can often mean frozen and burst pipes. Pipes that are most likely to freeze are exposed to the cold (such as outdoor hose bibs, swimming pool and water feature supply lines), water supply pipes in unheated interior areas (basements, crawl spaces, attics, garages), and pipes that run against exterior walls that have little or no insulation.
Be aware of these cold weather tips:
- Keep garage doors closed and shut vents in crawlspaces
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing
- Let cold water drip from a faucet
- Disconnect all garden hoses from outside spigots
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night
- Bring pets inside
- Fill your bathtub up – in case there is large water main break you will then have water to flush toilets
Montreat’s narrow roads make it difficult for emergency vehicles such as ambulances and firetrucks to negotiate. It becomes even more challenging when cars are parked on the roadways. Of course, snow and ice exacerbate the problem.
If you must park on the street, please ensure two wheels are off the road and there is 12 feet of clearance. Parking on both sides of a street is not feasible to allow emergency vehicles to pass. Please help us keep streets clear to provide emergency services to those in need.
Needed: Volunteers to Fill BOA Vacancies
As of the end of this month, there will be three openings on the Montreat Board of Adjustment: two regular positions and one alternate. Your help is needed in filling out this important board.
The function of the BOA is to hear appeals of decisions from the zoning administrator, interpret unclear provisions in the zoning ordinance. decide on applications by landowners to permit buildings or land uses which vary from the zoning regulations, and other similar matters. In Montreat, many of the cases involve reviewing variance requests and deviations from the rules due to hardship that is brought on by meeting Town zoning ordinances.
Members must be residents of Montreat, either full or part time. If part time, there must be a commitment to attend the regularly scheduled meetings. Meetings are scheduled monthly, but the board only meets if items are on the docket.
The BOA, due to its responsibilities, is one of the most important boards/committees of the Town. That is why it is so important for it to be fully staffed. Interested in learning more or know someone that would be effective on the board? Contact Savannah Parrish at [email protected] or any Town Council member.
Updates and Reminders
- The Montreat Tree Board will meet on Tuesday, January 23rd, at 9:30am, in the Town Hall Community Room. The meeting will be live streamed and the public is welcome to attend. For agenda and streaming information, CLICK HERE.
- The Wynne-Lithia Springs sub-committee of the Open Space Conservation Committee will meet on Wednesday, January 24th, at 2:00 pm in the Town Hall Community Room. This is an informational meeting only and all interested parties are welcome to attend. The meeting will not be live streamed.
- The Montreat Board of Adjustment will meet on Thursday, January 25th, at 5:00pm in the Town Hall Community Room. The meeting will be live streamed, and the public is welcome to attend. For agenda and streaming information, CLICK HERE.
Do you have Town-related questions you would like answered? If so, please send them to Angie Murphy at [email protected] and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Stay warm this weekend!