Join the Tree Board’s “Ivy League”
On Tuesday, June 8, Tree Board members and volunteers will meet at 9:30am at the Gate to trim ivy from trees around Pratt Park and Virginia Road. Some tools will be provided by the Town’s Public Works department. However, bring hand pruners, loppers, small hand saws or pruning saws, and gloves.
If you would like to join the “Ivy League”, call (669-8002 x1) or email ([email protected]) the Town offices and leave your name and contact number. We want to make certain there are enough tools for all.
Stormwater Study to be Presented
The long anticipated Montreat Stormwater Study will be presented at the June 10 Town Council meeting. The study was jointly initiated between the Town and the Land of Sky Regional Council. Major funding was provided by the EPA. The study, begun more than a year ago, investigates the hydrology of our stormwater, which includes where it flows from and to, where we have infrastructure to handle it and where we do not and provides recommendations on how we can improve our stormwater management. For a portion of the study, the Land of Sky also partnered with Montreat College. Instructors and student interns conducted Flat Creek studies to aid in our understanding of the impact of Montreat stormwater. The public is invited to this presentation at 7:00, June 10. See below for details.
Town Council Meeting Next Thursday, June 10
The Montreat Town Council will meet Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 7:00pm at the Montreat Town Hall. The agenda packet is available by CLICKING HERE.
The public is invited to attend. The meeting will be live streamed. For streaming instructions, CLICK HERE. A video recording of the meeting will be available afterward.
The Public Forum will precede the meeting at 6:30pm. All are invited.
As mentioned previously, we will resume pre-pandemic procedures for the Council meeting. These procedures include:
- The public is welcome to all meetings
- There are no limits as to the number of participants
- We will continue to live stream and record meetings for the convenience of those unable to attend
- As was the case pre-pandemic, comments for the public record must be made in person
- Email comments may still be submitted ([email protected]), but they will not be read into the public record
Updates and Reminders
- There will be a public hearing about the Montreat 2021-2022 budget at the beginning of the June 10 Town Council meeting described above. The budget is contained in the meeting agenda packet, which is available HERE.
- Just a “heads up” reminder: the summer bulk pickup will occur on Tuesday, July 6. Simply place your bulk items at curbside for this free service from the Town. There will be a $5 charge per item for mattresses and box springs. No hazardous materials such as paint and oil will be picked up. Another pick up will occur October 26.
Do you have Town-related questions you would like answered? If so, please send them to Angela Murphy at [email protected] and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Stay well and have a great weekend